Archive for March 2012
- Check power to the pump. If in doubt, check the power point operation with another device.
- Is there water in the rainwater tank? Electronic pressure controllers will prevent pump operation if the tank is empty.
- Are there any indicators illuminated on the pump? If so, try pressing the ‘reset’ button if there is one.
After this, if your pump is still not working, there are a number of possibilities:
- Blockage in the pump – often caused due to debris from the tank being drawn into the pump. This may be able to be cleared
- Pump capacitor failure. The capacitor controls the changes in voltage required to start and run the pump. This part is relatively inexpensive to replace.
- Pressure tank deflated. Pump pressure tanks require periodic inflation to maintain the pressure inside. This is a routine pump service item.
- Pump pressure controller failure. The pressure controller recognises when a demand for water is received and will control the starting of the pump to draw water. The pump controller is electronic and can be damaged by exposure to moisture. It is always recommended to protect your pump from exposure either by placing it in a protected location or by installing a pump cover.
- Water switch failure. The water switch (e.g. Davey Rainbank or Onga WaterSwtich) controls the use of tank and mains water in cases where the pump is connected to internal plumbing devices. The default action in most cases is to revert to mains water but this depends on the actual model.
- Pump failure due to wear and tear in aged pumps; damage from running dry; damage due to blockage by debris or motor failure. In some cases, a pump can be repaired but sometimes it is more cost-effective to replace the pump. We can help with both.
For more information, see our pump maintenance page.
If you do find your rainwater tank pump is not working, make sure you check your receipts for a purchase date as the pump may still be under warranty.
Call Water Tactics on 33248774 - we can help with all your rainwater tank pump problems or if you find your rainwater tank pump is not working.